I bet I can improve considerably the whole rat perspective with one simple picture:
Yes, that happens to be the world's most famous glove, worn by none other than, Mr Mickey Mouse!

.jpg)
How can you not smile looking at this rat!

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR
_____________________________
12 Feb 2008

After more than quarter of a decade of receiving ang pows (traditionally red packets containing cash) at every Reunion dinner on the eve of Chinese new year, I never really took the interest in understanding the significance of this ritual. I mean, if people give money to you without expecting anything in return, then why question the system right?
I always thought of it as some form of cultural practice passed down from generation to generation. Maybe thousands of years ago, these Chinese new year eve gathering were the only times when family members from near and far get to meet each other. So they probably brought along with them produce from their farms as gifts for relatives. But with the introduction of money, people give away cash instead. Pretty good imagination huh?
It was a question a friend asked me just before we went off for the long weekend that I finally discovered the significance of the red packets.
"So do your parents give you ang pows?", he asked.
"Oh never", I replied. "If we ask, they say they give us ang pows every day!".
He laughed but added "But ang pows are supposed to be tokens".
"Tokens of what? For being their child?!", I answered quickly and sarcastically.
He replied, "Oh no. When an ang pow is given, it is supposed to go with some wish or prayer. Like "I hope with this money you will be able to study better". Or "I hope with this token, your business with prosper"".
That silenced me.
Well, no one said that to me!
Apparently, it is believed that if the money you give away brings success to the recipients, then karma being what it is, you will get your just rewards in many fold.
Hmm, to me, it sounds like the Islamic version of giving money to the poor and needy. Same principles I suppose. But here, it's focused on the family. No wonder some of my friends' relatives give them so much ang pows, in the hundreds and even thousands.
Well now I know.


4 comments:
Lovely post...:)
Thank you for sharing.
Happy CNY...:)
Hello Nightwing, thank you so much for your kind words.
Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family.
Keep well.
Hi Linda, ahhh, I learned something today here, ha ha.
Happy Valentine's day to you, Lee.
Hello Lee, always good when we learn something new.
Happy Valentine's Day to you too.
Keep well and warm.
Post a Comment