Friday, February 29, 2008

Speak the Truth

It only happens every 4 years. So I'm capturing it.

No, not the coming elections.

It's the leap year!





So in light of February 29th that only occurs every 4 years, I'm putting in a post.

I'd like to put in about speaking the truth.


How many of us have had encounters with long long lost colleagues or acquaintances or even friends,
stop us in our tracks
and we stand there in the middle of a busy walkway or middle of the stairs or holding up the lift, exchange pleasantries and at towards the end, we say
"We should catch up"
or "Let's meet up for lunch"
or "Let's catch a movie someday"
when in actual fact, we don't really want to catch up, we really don't want to have lunch with them, what more catch a movie but we say it anyway?
If we meant it, we would have stayed in contact all these years.


Every time that happens to me and I hear those words, I cringe because for most of the time, people say them because "it's what people say".


If we don't really mean it, try neutral noncommittal responses like "Take care", "Keep well" or "Keep safe".


I say, say only what you really mean. If not, don't say anything at all.

4 comments:

Nightwing said...

Ya...agree with you.

hazlindakim said...

:-)
Thanks for that Nightwing.
Have a good day.

Lee said...

Hi Linda, I guess you are right here. I guess its just out of habit, or trying to be polite or friendly..but not meant to be followed up, most times.
Here in Canada, we tend to say, 'you have a nice day, keep well, have a good one'....but of course we do hear the greetings you mentioned.
Your this posting brings to mind.....
1/ when we left KL and at the airport, we had relatives and friends to wish us goodbye.
But same time we had friends not even a phone call even though they heard, knew we were leaving for good.
15 years later, no contact whatsoever, out of the blue, we get a letter they coming to Canada to STAY WITH US, and what makes it so artificial WAS! They wrote of how often they thought of us. 15 years no cards, no letters?
Well, they came, we took them around, and they when we sent them off at the airport said, "thank you, we will write and must keep in touch".
Well, its been 6 years, not one CNY card nor email nor letter.
Another couple, no contact 10 years but came to stay here, they told my wife and me at airport when saying goodbye, "we'll buy a book of stamps and keep in touch with you guys".
Their plane took off, we never heard from them again.
Thus these are so called friends who made use of us as a 'hotel'...then out of sight, out of mind.
We have now thrown away our 'welcome mat'....
2/ During my working days in Malaysia, I helped a lot of people get jobs thru my various contacts.
Some had very good salaries too as I had put pressure.
However, sad to say, there were a few who later when seeing me in town, pretended not noticing me. Would you believe that?
Of course a lot were grateful and saent me thank you cards or bought me dinner with their first pay.
Oh well, I guess thats life, no regrets...I have done my part.
Keep in touch, Linda, ha ha. Lee.

hazlindakim said...

Hello Lee,

Oh my goodness! Unbelievable! Some people are so despicable. Most appalling what you went through, Lee. Have they no shame or guilty conscience?

Oh well, it takes all sorts, right?

It just makes our life more colourful I suppose. Putting a positive spin on things but I applaud the fact that you stayed true to your generous, compassionate self.

Have a good evening Lee.