Thursday, February 21, 2008

Chief of the Meat-Eating Tribe


My title every time my sweetheart and I go out for meals and I order steak.

It’s funny.

I’ll have the hearty steak and he’ll be ordering the leaner chicken or the seafood. When the order arrives, the waiter/waitress would by impulse try to pass the steak to him but I’ll claim it!

I’ll devour it like there’s no tomorrow and rave on and on about how delicious it was, if it was.



It’s a love affair I tell you.

I crave for steak.

Give me tenderloin!

Give me sirloin!



Recently, I tried the Australian Wagyu steak. I’ve heard it mentioned here and there but never paid any attention to the craze. I knew it was some Japanese beef where the cattle were given sake and given massages.

Huh?! Massaging cattle? What has the world come to?

So anyway, it was only last weekend that I said “Ok. Let’s give this Wagyu beef a try.”

ooOooh WOW!

The flavour, juicy and so tender.

Y-U-M-M-Y!

Chewing the meat I realized that the delicious taste was due to the fat content in the meat. It was quite fatty and only after pulverizing the whole plate did I feel the fat trickling down to my hips!

Eeeeeks!

If it is so fatty, why are people eating it?


Feeling absolutely guilty, I google “Wagyu” and this is what Wikipedia gave me:

“Wagyu refers to several breeds of cattle genetically predisposed to intense marbling and to producing a high percentage of oleaginous unsaturated fat. Also known as Kobe-style beef, the meat from Wagyu cattle is known worldwide for its marbling characteristics, increased eating quality through a naturally enhanced flavor, tenderness and juiciness, and thus a high market value.”

“Because of the Wagyu cattle's genetic predisposition and special diet including beer and sake, wagyu yields a beef that contains a higher percentage of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids than typical beef. The increased marbling also improves the ratio of monounsaturated fats to saturated fats.”

Yes, yes!

My eyes only see

“higher percentage of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids” - which are by the way, very good for you

“improves ratio of monounsaturated fats to saturated fats” – good good!


And more from http://www.blackgoldfarms.com.au/whywagyu.html

Q. What makes Wagyu Beef consistently healthier, tastier and more tender than other meat?

Wagyu has a softer fat which improves the meat flavour and taste. The improvement is due to the higher ratio of mono-unsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) to saturated fatty acids. The IMF of Wagyu cattle is twice as high in mono unsaturated fat as traditional breeds. This results in a ‘healthier’ product. Research that first identified this higher level of mono-unsaturated fat in Wagyu cattle has also considered that this is the explanation for the characteristic superior flavour.

Other research have indicated that fatty acids found in Wagyu beef play a role in cancer prevention. A review on the effects of fatty acids on breast cancer has reported that concentrations of conjugated linoleic acid = 1% in diets is sufficient to provide significant protection from cancer according to Charles Gaskins PHD Beef Cattle Genetics and Statistics, Washington State University.




YES!!!

Guiltless now...


4 comments:

Lee said...

Hi Linda, I'm not much of a beef or red meat person.
But old days when on a date, would order Kobe beef.
I remember one SYT I dated and at a very exclusive restaurant, ordered Kobe beef. She later said it was "the lousiest beef she ever had"!
And I had to order another dish for her. A salmon order. She only ate a few bites. "Not nice".
All my dating life thank goodness only experienced two like her, ha ha.
It was of course a very early night home for her, and the moment I arrived home, her name was completely erased from my red book, ha ha. Never saw her again. First and final date.
I don't mind the expense, but it was her lack of tact and class to say it and after two bites only.
Even the waiter looked at us when I asked him to take it away.
I used to like T-bone, or ribs, at most sirloin, but must be well done, no half done business for me.
I prefer fish, or chicken. Love chicken wings too.
Incidentally we've only been to McDonalds 3 times in 21 years. Once to try the beef burger, twice for coffee with friends.
Give me har mee or wonton mee anytime, ha ha.
Have a nice day, Linda, Lee.

ManaL said...

BUT i love cow products too...like milk, cheese, butter besides the beef. I did think of one day i will have my own cattle ranch and I get to be a cowgirl. OK not really the cowgirl but i would like to produce my own cheese, dairy products and beef.

Not sure whether we muslim are allowed to have Wagyu meat, but I too like my steak well done. And oh yesss satay daging lembu....always beef over lamb/mutton. Cant stand eating lamb product except goatcheese. Panassss woooo makan daging kambing!


Do u wash the steak down with red wine or perhaps something tangy like iced lemon?

hazlindakim said...

Hello Lee, reading your comment, I must say that your dates were so lucky to be out with you. They had the offerings of the finest food available. Too bad this one did not realize that. Even if she did not like it, a more tactful way of expressing dislike would be more appreciated by the one footing the bill! Ha ha ha... Oh well, her lost!

McDonalds 3 times in 21 years?!? That's practically staple food for us younger generation! Ha ha ha... I guess that why many of us develop a multitude of illnesses. It must be from all the processed food and preservatives. Lucky for us here in Malaysia we still have many food joints selling proper food and at quite reasonable prices.

I like my fish and chicken too but them steaks, irresistible! :-)

Have a good evening Lee.

hazlindakim said...

Hello Manal, your cowgirl comment made me laugh! It would be brilliant to have your own ranch - a few hectares of land, cows grazing, horses prancing. Very nice!

But the reality of it is that ranches require high maintenance and lots of hard labour.
Erm, not for me. Ha ha...

Keep well Manal.