I was pushed to really give this a go since it came out as a motion picture and received rave reviews including nomination as best movie in the 2013 Oscars.
I deliberately missed the movie because I really wanted to read the book first. I mean, I'll be able to catch up with the movie some other time. But the book, well, that will take more time and effort. Besides, I didn't want the movie to influence my thoughts about the story without giving the book a go first. Many times the film adaptation of books do not put the writing to justice so that's why I really wanted to read the book first.
My first experience with Yann Martel as a writer was reading the book "Beatrice and Virgil" which left me dumbfounded as to why Yann is hailed as such a great writer. That book was on disappointment and really put a dent on my perception of Yann.
So when I started reading this book, I had a preconceived idea on what to expect but me being me, I have a tendency to keep on open mind regardless.
.
.
.
Well, having completed this book, I now totally understand the hype and buzz and compliments received and given to Yann. This book is nowhere compared to "Beatrice and Virgil". It is in a totally different league. The story line and the story-telling is magnificent. It makes you addicted to the book and you just cannot let go until you reach the conclusion.
I must admit the ending of the adventure is pretty abrupt but to be honest, it didn't disturb me as much I thought it would. I think sometimes even in reality, an ordeal that we face can sometimes just end as quickly as it started. So I took that philosophy.
Now, let's get to the movie...

No comments:
Post a Comment