Wednesday, December 12, 2007

latest read: Steve & Me by Terri Irwin

When I came back from Melbourne at the end of 2001, it felt like leaving a good friend and there is a constant ache in my heart whenever I think of Melbourne and that ache remains till this day.

So trying to hold on to something Australian, I welcomed this man with a thick Aussie accent who had such great enthusiasm. He was the Crocodile Hunter. He was Steve Irwin.

I did not actually follow his adventures but it was such a comfort that whenever I missed Australia, I knew which channel to get him. He brought to the screen what to me Australia and Australian people are all about. They are passionate and proud people, proud to be Australian.


Whenever I think of Steve, there are two phrases that come to mind –

CRIKEY!

What a BEAUTIE!

He was so full of life and he talks about nature so passionately. And a person with such great passion always attracts me.


His sudden passing was a blow!

I remember hearing about it in the news and something in me just did not believe, cannot believe what has happened.
This man who was a great advocate of nature died in the hands of nature.
How ironic, I thought.


While browsing Kinokuniya, I saw this book on the shelves - Steve in his khaki shirt and shorts - and without even think, I grabbed it!



Finishing the book as a before-bed reading was a bad idea. I couldn’t sleep after that.

I was in tears.

Closing the book, I stared into space for a few minutes, totally silent, holding on to the book, trying to digest what I’ve just read, taking it all in.

This book describes in great detail what Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter, is all about and what a man!

Steve & Me was written by Terri, Steve’s wife. To see things from her point of view, I regard Steve Irwin with greater respect now - what he was trying to achieve and his challenging journey to achieve it. He was extremely passionate about saving and preserving nature and he had great respect for everything in it.


But ultimately, this was a love story of a girl finding her soul mate, finding someone who shares her passion, someone who understands her, someone she trusts with her life, someone who completes her, someone she loves and lost.

Steve and Terri were like macaroni and cheese, like a song and a rhyme. They complemented each other and they were best when together.
The 15 years they spent together - their achievements, their ability to appreciate each other come what may, how happy they were with each other - were more than some people ever achieved in triple that.

How lucky they were to find each other.


I can’t imagine what Terri must be facing on a daily basis without her soul mate.

But what she wrote in this paragraph describes it beautifully:

I lay there while the clock ticked on. Here is another minute I have survived without Steve. I consoled myself with the thought that the clock was ticking for all of us. None of us could know when it was going to be our time. I resolved that I would celebrate the people who were still here and apply myself to the work that still had to be done. My resolution was all well and good, but what really sustained me during those dark, lonely hours of the night was another deeper, more persistent thought. With every tick of the clock, I was one moment closer to being with Steve again. As strong as Steve was in this life, I knew without a doubt that he would be a force to be reckoned with in the next.

Even typing this out, I’m teary-eyed.

Yes, with every tick of the clock, we are nearer and nearer to be with those we have lost.



More from her:

… grief is your own process. You cannot compare your grief to anyone else’s. It is something that is uniquely yours.

Understanding that where there is love there is grief, and where there is life there is death, and that a person’s spirit and soul never die and that their love never ends..

When your hero dies, everything he stood for does not end. Everything he stood for must continue.

One crowded hour of glorious life is worth more than an age without a name. I had no regrets for Steve’s glorious life, and I know he couldn’t have lived any other way.

Steve lived everyday of his life doing what he loved, and he always said he would die defending wildlife.

His death in the hands of nature was not ironic after all.
I believe he would not have it any other way.

Steve lived a short life but a full life indeed.

Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter - what a legacy he has left behind.

Good on ya mate!


6 comments:

kina said...

Cant help but change the channel when he started to kiss the snakes and lizards... yikes!!

But I luv the wild animals series, with him on the jeep ready to jump out once he saw the creatures.

He lived a full life indeed!

hazlindakim said...

Welcome kina and thanks for dropping by.

Oh don't get me wrong. What he did on his shows are either a show of bravery or pure lunacy! And it's a very thin line that separates the two.

I appreciate that he was proud of what he was doing and that he truly wanted to champion the conservation of wildlife. He genuinely loved nature and that came across in his shows.

His passing was shocking and very tragic. He is greatly missed.

I am glad that his children are taking on him and that Australia Zoo is still going on strong. Hope there will be many more like him or inspired by him.

Lee said...

Hi Linda, yes, Steve was one real character. I never missed his shows here. Love his thick Australian accent. "Crikey"!
Oh ya, I must have watched Crocodile Dundee, all three movies more than 8 times past years....love that guy.
Well written post, Linda. You sure one eloquent writer.
I hope to visit Australia one day and visit a Town called 'Alice'. Its dead centre of Australia.
Linda, if can, find that book, "A town like Alice". Its a beautiful love story between an English woman and an Aussie soldier during the 2nd WW in Malaya. Good book.
You have a nice day, Lin, goodnight from Canada. Lee.

hazlindakim said...

Hi Lee,
Thanks for stopping by for kopi and kueh. Thank goodness I stocked some Maxwell House coffee in my pantry and had not finished the pineapple tarts while reading this book.

Re Crocodile Dundee, I didn't find Paul Hogan appealing though he had the same Australian accent. He doesn't have the same charisma as Steve Irwin. To me, Steve appears more sincere. The storyline was amusing though.

Yes, Steve is one real character. Maybe he was just too large for this life.

Have a good night Lee.

ruby ahmad said...

Hi Hazlinda,

My younger twin loved Steve Irwin. He could mimic Irwin's voice and accent to a t, that's how much of fan he is.

When Irwin met with that fatal accident, he was devastated.

Sometimes it is through tragedy people were given the gift of knowledge as to how much love exists between two souls. Sad but true.

hazlindakim said...

Oh Kak Ruby, your poor son! (erm, your twins are sons right?)
I'm not a really big fan of Steve, I mean I do like him but I don't really follow his adventures, and yet I felt it when he passed. So it must have been really hard for your son. I sympathize.

It's true what you said - that in losing something is when you learn the meaning of that thing in your life.
Teruk la life...

Thanks for dropping by Kak Ruby.