This is the 2nd installment to the Brenda and Effie series.
I love British writers. Their use of the English language and the way they describe things and their injection of comedy or even horrors, are very classy and put intelligently.
I love Paul Magrs because of all of this and a little bit more. He has put into our imagination the possibility of living forever with the introduction of organ and body parts replacement. He has also managed to mix well Gothic horror with situation comedy in his writing which I find very amusing and also refreshing.
Brenda, who is the Bride of Frankenstein, should be a monster but somehow, maybe due to her mix of parts is the most human and humane character/monster that ever walked Whitby's streets, confronted by demons and ghouls of all descriptions. But in the midst of all the horrors in Whitby, she has found a good friend with her neighbour, Effie, who is all human, and also another friend in Robert, a young man living in Whitby. I suppose the 1st instalment of this series would have explained how she became friends with Robert. I still don't have to 1st book! Argh!
Anyway, in this installment, we meet characters like Henry Cleavis - who becomes a close friend to Brenda only to leave her when the mystery of Goomba is solved; he may have also left because he was freaked out by Brenda's spare body parts making their way to help Brenda solve a mystery-, Count Alucard, Sheila Manchu, Mu Mu Manchu - departed husband to Shiela - and Jessie the Zombie Womanzee, not to mention Goomba and the evil Mrs Claus.
This story revolves in trying to solve the mystery of the poison pen letters and the release of Goomba.

No comments:
Post a Comment