Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Imbauan

Woah! Where did Monday go?
Time sure flies when you’re not paying attention.
I wanted to write this yesterday about this show I went on Sunday night. But well, Monday came and went. So here I am on Tuesday.

What intended to be a take-it-easy night out with my Hunnie for this show called Imbauan at Dewan Filharmonic Petronas (DFP) turned out to be a rush-to-make-it-in-time-for-the-show with my sister. So much we can plan but God decides, eh.

Last Thursday I confirmed with Hunnie to make sure his schedule would be all clear for Saturday night for the show. Truthfully, I would not have gone to this show simply because I’m not a fan of Malay songs/music but I know that my dear Hunnie is. I’ve dragged him to one too many musicals and such that I thought, Ok, I’ll sit in something that he’d prefer. Getting his ok, called up DFP, booked and paid for two tickets priced at RM30 each. Cheap! I was wondering why it’s so cheap. I didn’t read any reviews of course. Not my style. I’d prefer to just read a little synopsis and then let the show itself surprise me, good or bad.
Dinner Friday night my Hunnie dropped the bombshell, “Can’t make it Saturday night. I have to be at the Parliament. Need to meet Mr Prime Minister.” HMPH! I hate you! I do, I do. HMPH!
Well I don’t actually and I do understand. I do understand but that does not mean that I’m happy about it. Sulk! RM60 burnt on a show we’re going to miss! SULK!



Saturday evening before he’s off to Parliament, we stopped over at the DFP Box Office to purchase another set of tickets for the only other show of Imbauan on Sunday night. The only available tickets in the Stalls are at RM10. Wow! Super-cheap! Ok, get them.

This cheaper ticket is so much prettier.

Well, surprise, surprise, Hunnie cannot make it to the Sunday’s show either. Sigh… Again, blame it on Mr Prime Minister. Apparently, it’s another meeting at Subang. “Be patient okay baby”, he said apologetically. “This is something that I have to do to secure our future. It is for us. It’s not easy but I have to do it. ” Sure, sure, I’ve heard that ten thousand and one times! God! I didn’t know I have that much patience. Having being dumped like this repeatedly, I’m beginning to be emotionless about it. Ok, I lie! Hahaha… He is so going to pay and I mean literally, pay for this. I think I need a new watch and another pair of black court shoes.
At first my sis didn’t want to go since I asked her just an hour and a half before the 8.30pm show due to “unforeseen” circumstances. She said she had other plans. Then 45 minutes before the show, her plans got canceled and thus began the mad dash to KLCC.
“What show is it?” she enquired.
“Erm, some Malay symphony thingy. Malay songs in symphony and there’s a Khadijah Ibrahim who’ll be singing some songs,” I replied.
“Not MPO?”
“Nope.”
“Well, if it sucks, we’re walking out.”
“Agreed.”

Ushered and taking our seats, not 10 seconds later, the show began.
It did not suck.
We stayed the full 95 minutes of the show.
There were some tunes that I recognized - some Malay patriotic songs I don’t know what they are called and the ones that I do know are Jauh Jauh and Tanah Pusaka which I recognized from Sean Ghazi’s album. Of course when they got to the end with a medley of English songs, I sang along. Those I know! (i.e. Cilla Black’s You’re My World and Dusty Springfield’s You Don't Have To Say You Love Me.)
Aah, suddenly it hit me. No wonder the tickets were cheap. It’s not the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra (MPO). It’s the Petronas Performing Arts Group (PPAG) - totally different league all together to MPO. No wonder! I've only been to DFP for MPO shows.
Money-wise, my glass-half-full take, this show costs me not RM10 each but rather RM40 each i.e. the not-watched Saturday show of RM30 plus RM10 of the Sunday show I did get to watch. Not bad if I put it that way.
Still disappointed that Hunnie did not get to watch it. He sure would have enjoyed it.
This is what I found from The Star:
Friday July 18, 2008
Down memory lane
By AZHARIAH KAMIN
Audiences at the Imbauan concert will get to enjoy golden oldies with new arrangement.
This weekend, music lovers can check out the two-night concert entitled Imbauan, organised by Petronas Performing Arts Group (PPAG) that will be held at Dewan Filharmonik Petronas (DFP), Kuala Lumpur.
With a promise to enthral the audience with a set of spellbinding performances, the concert will feature 52 musicians under the baton of conductor Ahmad Muriz Che Rose as musical director.
With Hartini Haji Abdullah as producer, the 90-minute Imbauan will feature versatile singer Khadijah Ibrahim who will render golden oldies with new arrangements.
(From left) Conductor-cum-musical director Ahmad Muriz Che Rose, singer Khadijah Ibrahim, producer Hartini Haji Abdullah and 52 musicians will join forces for the upcoming two-night concert entitled Imbauan at Dewan Filharmonik Petronas tomorrow and on Sunday.
Featuring songs such as Cempaka Sari, Resam Dunia, Hiburkanlah Hatiku, Mas Merah, Mohon Kasih and Salam Mesra, the concert will undoubtedly take audience on a musical journey down memory lane. The songs will be rearranged by talented arrangers of the PPAG.
According to Ahmad Muriz, the team took some time to collect and select the songs for the two shows.
“In the initial compilation we had about 50 songs but we ended up selecting 12 songs with lyrical melody. For sure we want to play songs that weren’t played too often,” said Ahmad Muriz in an interview with the media last week. Also present were Khadijah and Hartini.
“During our listening session, it was just amazing how we were totally enraptured by the fine tunes, by their simplicity and how the public reacted to them then.
“Though simple, the music has some complexity to it and for us musicians, to work around it is a whole new ball game altogether and it is extremely exciting.
“Some of the songs will be performed in symphony while others will be done in rhythm and with a modern approach. So I’m really excited about Imbauan as it is about paying homage (in music) to our forefathers.
“Actually we came up with the idea to stage Imbauan sometime last year to celebrate our country’s 50th Merdeka celebration,” explained Hartini.
She added that the concert also serves as a continuation of PPAG’s other performances at DFP such as Raja Bersiong, Semerah Padi, Mek -Mulung, Kalbu and Simfoni Tradisional.
Ahmad Muriz added that all songs would be re-orchestrated by PPAG’s Syed Sharir Gaizal Syed Hussain, Mohd Yazid Zakaria, Mohd Khair Abd Latiff, Yuzaifullah Mohd Yusof, Mohd Khairul Anuar Ramly, Mohd Husin Osman, Abd Rohni Mat Noor and Mohd Rashid Dahari.
Imbauan will also feature the soothing sounds of the flute by Mohd Yazid Zakaria, gambus by Mohd Leyzam Ali and the accordian by Haji Ismail Lazim.
Versatile singer Khadijah will render Jauh-Jauh, Cemburu, Tanah Pusaka and a medley of Lagu Membawa Berita, Polinesia Mambo and Cinta Pandang Pertama. She will also perform an English medley which includes Cilla Black’s You’re My World.
“As a singer, I’m very honoured to be part of Imbauan and it is a big challenge for me to sing these songs as some of them were recorded long before I was born,” said Khadijah.
“And yes ... I have butterflies in my stomach as I’m nervous about performing the songs in Imbauan,” said Khadijah, adding that she prepares for the concert by listening to the songs repeatedly.
“But don’t expect me to imitate the original singers as I will sing in my own style, ” she added.
According to Hartini, Khadijah was selected because of her versatility.
“For us Khadijah has her own personality and she can perform all kinds of songs very well. We worked together last year during the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, and it gave us a lasting impression of her substantial talent and professionalism,” added Hartini.
“We have a very good 52-piece orchestra under Ahmad Muriz and with Khadijah to render some of the songs, we promise the audience a good time,” she added.
Imbauan will be staged tomorrow and Sunday at 8.30pm. Concert tickets are priced at RM35, RM30, RM20 and RM10 and can be purchased at the box office 03-20517007 or fax 03-20517077 or email at dfpboxoffice@petronas.com.my.

2 comments:

Nightwing said...

Thanks for sharing...:)

Am sure ur hunnie feel bad abt missing the weekend.

Don;t worry...am sure he will make it up to you..:)

hazlindakim said...

Hi Nightwing,

You are right. My Hunnie did feel bad about missing the show. But what to do right?

Thanks for dropping by.