Monday, July 7, 2008

Drum Slices III

Last Friday, I looked over kakiseni.com to check out anything interesting to watch/listen over the weekend.
I don’t know why but somehow, under the Music directory, the event called “Drum Slices III” caught my eye.
Hmm, apparently it is some locally produced/managed event. With the description comes a URL. Checked it out - www.hands.com.my – and was intrigued with what they have done. I was even more pushed to watch it after reading this write-up from The Star.

Friday July 4, 2008
Rhythm nation
By N. RAMA LOHAN
Putting percussion-based music on the commercial map takes some doing, but Hands Percussion has done it ... and in some style, too.
WE all march to the beat of a different drummer. Likewise the Hands Percussion ensemble,which has formed a habit of doing things its own way. It’s this intrinsic self-belief that has brought the troupe numerous successes, the most recent of which was its performance at the ASSITEJ World Congress and Performing Arts Festival for Young People in Adelaide, Australia in mid-May.
The event – a gathering place of the world’s practitioners of theatre for children and young people, and a key global event in youth arts – saw the troupe performing with representatives from over 40 nations. Hands Percussion’s fusion of traditional Chinese drums and traditional Malay percussion instruments – and the odd tabla or two – received critical acclaim and acceptance from the enthusiastic audience.
It's in the hands: Eric Ch'ng (left) and Bernard Goh explain that everything they do is by their own hands ... thus the monicker of the group.
“I’ll be honest with you, the response from crowds abroad are much more encouraging than it is here. That’s really the beauty about festivals overseas – while they may have a specific brief, they are performed to and celebrated by people from all walks of life,” says artistic director Bernard Goh.
“That was also the scenario at the festivals we attended in Belgium and the Netherlands where the authorities wanted the entire community to experience the event, not merely those who are into the arts or those who could afford attending them. We’ve performed at old folks homes, kindergartens ... everywhere really, which tells you how important the arts is to them,” adds administrative director Eric Ch’ng.
It’s not about making comparisons between audiences but both Goh and Ch’ng feel strongly about getting Malaysians to be just as enthusiastic.
“It’s nice to be appreciated. When audience members abroad come up to us and ask questions about what we do and how we do something, it’s obvious they like what they see and hear. You can tell they’re having a good time because they actually get up, dance to the music and participate in the festivities,” offers Ch’ng enthusiastically.
Hands Percussion’s participation at the ASSITEJ festival did not come easily, though. Gaining recognition and support from the Culture, Arts and Tourism Ministry seemed like a lost cause but with a few visits by the organisers to Malaysia, coupled with assistance from the Australian High Commission, the troupe finally received the endorsement it desperately sought.
Fortunately, accolades have come the troupe’s way in the guise of the Boh Cameronian Award, a three-trophy sweep last year for the categories of Best Production Value, Best Original Composition and Best Group Performance and a nomination this year for its recent Aussie excursion. The troupe won the awards for the second instalment of its Drum Slices series of performances, an event that had 200 school-going children performing at Genting’s Arena of Stars.
Letting their hair down: The Hands Percussion troupe goofing around outside the Adelaide Festival Centre in Australia.
Percussion’s humble beginnings hark back to 1997 when it was initially inspired by lion dance troupes. It wasn’t so much a case of the entertainment industry crying out for a drum troupe but more of Goh and Ch’ng allowing their hearts to rule. Goh quit his job as a graphic designer and Ch’ng did likewise from a successful career as an accountant.
”I actually got into this 20 years ago and never imagined getting this far. I was originally a school band drum major, and I guess my love for drums just continued to grow from there.
“While I was studying graphic design, I began a coaching stint at the Chung Hwa private school and I noticed a lot of talent there. The problem was, after graduating, these students had no opportunities to further their interest,” Goh confesses.
Hands Percussion has attempted to circumvent this obstacle by introducing a three-pronged system designed to address the issue by way of its Performing, Education and Outreach, and Theatre Music Production programmes. The troupe’s endeavours to introduce its art form at school level have yielded very positive results with students now being offered performance platforms at cultural and corporate events, ultimately providing the means to lead a decent life.
Hands Percussion has successfully funded its activities through corporate events but Ch’ng points out that it’s no easy task. “We have 15 full-time members to take care off and I’ll tell you that we live on a day-to-day basis.”
Temptations from foreign troupes – who are often better paid due to government intervention – is a fear both Goh and Ch’ng have to face, but the pride they instil in the troupe has paid dividends in retaining their members so far.
The troupe’s philosophy of fusing various elements of local culture is far from conventional but Goh and Ch’ng both feel it’s all rather natural to them, given their Malaysian upbringing.
“We’ve grown up in Malaysia, so how can we cast a blind eye on what’s around us? I’m not a Chinese guy from China. I’m Malaysian, and naturally, I’m influenced by my surroundings, which includes the use of traditional Malay and Indian instruments. I mean, I grew up with my family in Kuala Pilah. And as percussionists, we’re always interested in percussion instruments beyond our own culture,” Goh asserts.
Naturally, this ethnic potpourri has drawn its share of detractors, especially those who tread the cultural high ground.
“We’ve also been told off that jumping on the drums is disrespectful and such, but my sifu has always encouraged us with his open mindedness.”
“Times have changed, too, and to get the younger generation to appreciate this, you really can’t lecture them or do things the conventional way ... you have to woo them instead. Unlike school, the kids whom we train insist on coming for the sessions even when they’re ill, much to their parents’ surprise. Such is their dedication,” adds Ch’ng.
Although the troupe’s name may suggest that it plays its percussion instruments purely with its hands, sticks are used too. Also, why Hands and not Hand Percussion, then?
“Everything we do is by our own hands ... it’s all basically an in-house effort, be it the graphic designs, the costumes, our website, sourcing of funds ... everything, really,” Ch’ng proudly claims.
Hands Percussion is not sitting on its laurels and soaking in the plaudits, the troupe’s ongoing efforts in taking its brand of entertainment abroad continues with the upcoming 8th COSMOPOLIS International Arts Festival in Kavala, Greece from July 16 to 20. The event is a celebration of – apart from music and dance – the world’s folk art, foods, thoughts and creations expressed in an artistic manner.
The globetrotting troupe won’t be leaving for Europe without first conducting Drum Slices III, which begins today at KLPac and ends on Sunday. Showtime is at 8.30pm.
Hands Percussion makes no bones about its honesty to its craft and the success stories the troupe is able to narrate thus far is a testament to both Goh and Ch’ng’s undying passion for their art.
For more info on Drum Slices III, call 03-9282 4250 or visit www.hands.com.my. Tickets for the show at KLPac are priced between RM35 and RM80 (10% discount for Hands Club members). Call Tel: 03-4047 9000 or 03-2094 9400 for tickets. StarYouth is the media partner for the Hands Percussion Team.

I’ve never been to the Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Center (KLPac). This would be the perfect reason to go.
We recce the place on Saturday night and cool! With the lighting of the surrounding area, it looked impressive but kinda eerie actually. The old buildings look quaint and colonial with the spotlight shining on them but I dare not look too hard for fear of seeing something I don’t want to.
Of course, when we made our way on Sunday afternoon to catch the 3.00pm show, under the light of day, you see things as what they really are. The long main driveway to KLPac still looks good and the park neatly kept, but the buildings, well, not too impressive. They are in fact rather old and abandoned but honestly, I must say they all add up to the feel of the surrounding area.

We bought tickets at the KLPac box office which I think need better organization of purchase and collection of tickets. Without proper signage, it was a little confusing for several people who were unclear on which queue to follow – purchase or collection – and were only told once they reached their turn after waiting in line that “This is for collection only. Buying is this queue”, pointing to the next queue, and sighing after looking back to see the queue going back to 15 people. Not pleasant!



Oh, one more thing - parking. What is it about Malaysia and its inability to provide sufficient parking for shopping malls and theaters and stadiums when you know there will be a massive number of vehicles during an event? I just don’t get it. We ended up parking by the curb, squeezing between cars. Sheesh!

Anyway, the interior of KLPac itself is nice. Straight out, I can say I like it. I like the modern build-up of the place with the use of metal, raw bricks and glass walls. Despite the number of people around the foyer, it still felt comfortable.


Let’s get on with the show.
There were 7 parts to it – 7 different showcases from different schools or teams. The first hour was team number 1 to 3 and after a 15 minute intermission, teams 4 to 7’s turn.
Teams 1 to 3:
I was bored. I was beginning to regret coming. Too many pauses. Ayo, enough with the pantomime. Hit the drums already!... Huh? Is that it? God, here we go again with the pantomime. Good grief…Enough!

The intermission was badly needed.

Teams 4 to 7:
THAT’S more like it! Clearly this is the highlight half. Of all 4, I liked team 5 most, performing “Monkey Beats”. The team were school children with the drums some barely reaching their chests. They were adorable, absolutely adorable. Their ability to concentrate, to present their emotions and above all enjoy themselves, carrying a smile while coordinating their movements with each other, it was so pleasing to watch. I was smiling throughout.

At the end of it all, I couldn't help but think - What a wonderful avenue for kids to have; a healthy extra curriculum for students. It gives kids such a good opportunity to build their character, build their confidence and I'm sure with the level of commitment and dedication that they showed, it will propagate to their everyday lives too.

4 comments:

Lee said...

Hi Linda, hand percussion? Regret heard of 'percussion', but not 'hand'...though I love that Indonesian 'Angklung' bamboo percussion.
For music, concerts I love Andre Rhieu.
Have always appreciated those Austrian music...
and I did see 'the sound of music three times too, ha ha.
Have a great week, Lee.

Nightwing said...

Good stuff.

Thanks for sharing this. Hope more youngsters will take up this drum thingy rather then be a mat rempit or lepaking around.

hazlindakim said...

Hello Lee,

Hands Percussion is a name the team adopted. They are impressively good. I was pleasantly surprised.

Sound of Music - I lost count how many times I've watched that. It's classic!

Thanks for stopping by and have a good weekend.

hazlindakim said...

Hey Nightwing,

That's exactly what I was hoping at the end of the show - that more kids get involve in healthy activities like these rather than being mat rempits and lepaking, wasting their parents time and money at shopping malls.

Here's to hoping...

Thanks for coming over and have a good weekend.