Friday, March 28, 2008

my F1 2008 weekend

Display at Concourse area, Suria KLCC


Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix

21-22-23 March 2008



It has been 10 years since the first F1 race in Sepang International Circuit, Malaysia.
How time flies!


Me and my dear sweetheart, true to his nature, waited until the last minute to purchase tickets for the race. I've been nagging him endlessly about it but I strongly believe he is getting immuned to my nagging.

We knew the exact block and row that we wanted but the ticket outlets and agents seem not to have those seats. So, Thursday afternoon, I called the KL Sentral Sepang International Circuit office to query about our selected seats. Turned out they cannot check the availability. The person I spoke to told me to call their main office at Sepang itself.


Called Sepang office and I enquired about my selected seats and just as I suspected, they do not have them either and do not know which agents may have them.

Bummer!

Hah! But here's the twist -



"Akak, my supervisor has tickets where you want but they are complimentary tickets. Not for sale. But if Akak want, my supervisor says that he's willing to sell it."


"Oh really? Is this for real?"

"Betul Akak. It is exactly like the normal ticket except that it states "Complimentary. RM0.00"."


"Hmmm... How much?"


"Akak, you know how much is Crystal right?"

"1200."


"Ya. This one I'm giving for 950 each and Akak can get PA1 parking at 100 as normal."

To be honest, I was sold when she said parking PA1. It is almost impossible to get PA1 parking tickets. PA1 is right opposite the main entrance. That would save lots of leg work in the hot sun.


"Hmmm... mmm.... if I want, I have to go to Sepang to get it from you?"


"Ya Akak but like I said, it's complimentary; not for sale. So Akak please call me when you get here."

"Alright. I'll do that if I decide to buy them from you."








Erm, so I commited an illegal ticket purchase.

Oh well...


We missed Friday 21st March 2008 free practice.




Saturday 22nd March 2008, Hunnie and I left at noon and an hour later was at Sepang.

It was perfect weather to be out actually - overcast and windy! But still very humid.


At the Welcome Centre and Mall Area

The three teams I watch out for - BMW Sauber, Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes, Ferrari - and in that order


After the Qualifying session


Grid Positions:

1. Felipe Massa - Ferrari
2. Kimi Raikkonen - Ferrari
3. Jarno Trulli - Toyota

This was after the McLaren pair were penalised for obstructing those in their flying lap.



Sunday 23rd March 2008, sis and I left early around 10am knowing from previous experiences the massive traffic jam that will await us if we left any later.

I was trying to get something autographed by Nick Heidfeld but the queue was too long.
Snapped a picture instead.


Some pits


Driver's Parade


At the starting grid before the race. It looks really crowded in pictures and on TV. But in real life, it's not that bad actually. All the bustling looks quite subdued in real life.

Poised to go for their warm-up lap:



The five red lights go off and there they go... Vrrrooommm.....


Round,

and round

and round

and round they go...



After 57 laps, the podium finishers were:

1. Kimi Raikkonen - Ferrari
2. Robert Kubica - BMW Sauber
3. Heikki Kovalainen - Vodafone McLaren Mercedes



Woohoo!
My team got second!
Not very impressive but BUT it was the first podium finish for the team sponsored by Petronas and how fitting on its 10th anniversary.


What a fun weekend!


4 comments:

Nightwing said...

Wow...way to go.

Good to know that u had fun. My cousin also went. He usually buys it a year ahead. Not sure which seating though.

He has been going there since the first time Malaysia hosted the event.

Thanks for sharing the lovely pics.

hazlindakim said...

Hi Nightwing,

I had a blast!

I only started following F1 when I was introduced to it in 2001 in Melbourne. I followed it religiously when I came back to KL but got bored of it when Michael Schumacher and Ferrari keeps on winning. He was no doubt a great race driver but he and his team were just way too high above the rest. There's hardly any challenge at all. What's a race without challenges?

With the revamped rules and regulations and the retirement of Michael, it's getting more interesting now.

I can't wait for next year's race in Sepang which I believe will be a night race.

Thanks for visiting and take care.

Lee said...

Hi Linda, those days, I used to go to the Batu Tiga race track watch races. But never been this one.
Love the excitement, the smell of racing fuel, and of course the lovely SYT's around, ha ha.
But funny enough, I've never been to one here...I guess with age interest drops, also I'm no longer driving fast cars.
You stay cool and have a nice weekend, Linda. Lee.

hazlindakim said...

Hello Lee, I've never been to Batu Tiga for races. I wasn't interested then and also was much younger.
I love the excitement of the race and the whole atmosphere. Very much like a fun fare. Not there for the SYT of course! Ha ha ha...
Thanks for visiting Lee and take care.