Tuesday, November 29, 2011

latest read - the tiger's wife

I've been lugging this book for months. If I find that I cannot finish a book within the week, then I am sure that the book will not resonate with me. And true enough, this book gave me nothing except ending my curiosity on what the story is all about. I just wanted to get the end just for the purpose of getting to the end.


Basically the underlying story is the relationship between the narrator and her grandfather. She was very close with her grandfather in her younger years but grew apart as she grew up. Her grandfather died at some unknown location in the war stricken country. She is now a military medical staff and was on the journey across the country to help the ill. So, the story of her experiences in the village is intertwined with her grandfather's. Stories of her grandfather's life is where he met the tiger's wife - a deaf-mute girl in a village who was abused by her husband, Luca, until his sudden disappearance and assumed dead. The deaf-mute girl formed a peculiar relationship with a tiger that wondered into the village and visited her every night. By the way, Luca was a butcher and so their house always had smoked meat.

Gah, what was the conclusion of the story?? It escapes me... Never mind...

Oh and there were some encounters between her grandfather and the deathless man. Having read several anecdotes on that, I thought, "Yeah, we're getting to something interesting.". But turns out, they are just episodes with no impact. Ugh, disappointing...

No comments: