Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Fear

I hate the feeling of fear. Who doesn't right?

I hate the fact that we are constantly living in fear; fear of losing a loved one, fear for your safety, fear of what can happen, fear that the choices you make are the wrong ones, fear that nothing is good enough, fear, fear, fear... I hate it! Why can't I live without this constant feeling of fear? It doesn't cripple me but that dulling feeling of fear is always present.


Last week, I finally watched "Eat Prat Love" The Movie.
As with the book, it was the Eat section that resonated most with me.

During Liz's last night in Italy where she was having Thanksgiving dinner with her Italian "family", they each in turn gave thanks to God.
When Giovanni, the boyfriend of Liz's friend Sofi, took his turn he said " I thank God for fear... (I was thinking, what the heck should we be thankful for fear?!)", then he continued "...because for the first time I'm afraid the person next to me (he looked over to Sofi who was next to him)  will be the one who wants to leave."

What he said touched me and it reverberate in me for the rest of the day after watching that movie. Surely I have read that part when I read the book but I don't remember that part.

 It didn't strike me immediately but later that day as I was driving home, it hit me.

Fear, the thing that I hate, I see it now in a positive light.

Fear.
I thank God for fear because fear makes me appreciate everything that I have - my family, my health, everything - and fear reminds me how blessed I am.
Fear.

No comments: