Oih...
It’s been ages since I’ve been here.
I cannot believe the last time I updated my blog was more than a month ago.
Well, yeah, August was crazy, passed by in a blur.
The momentum built up gradually from late July and once the ball started rolling, yikes! There was no stopping it!
I’ve been involved somewhat with organizing get-togethers, short courses and conferences but all were more like supporting roles to the main cast.
This time round I was in the thick of it all. I was having meetings upon meetings. Any free time was filled with meetings, updating tasks, paperwork and such.
The conference ran from the 26th to the 28th and the week before that, I was pulled in every direction. My brain was checking and re-checking every single detail. I was also entrusted with holding the whip.
“You there, have you done this?!”
“You! Have you done that?!”
“And you! Why are all that not done yet?!”
“And you there, have you pestered those people to finalize that?!”
...
Something to that effect with a huge pinch of tact of course!
I’ve learnt at the very start of my working life that what you know is not that important compared to who you know and how you play the game. It is not the work that is challenge but rather the people you work with.
How do you make sure what people promise you is what they will deliver and how do you use your persuasive skills to get things done when you want them.
Tricky, tricky...
In a limited time of organizing an event, you learn a lot and quickly about how to deal with things not going your way and how to mitigate them with the least amount of damage.
You learn a lot and quickly on how to prioritise your responsibilities at hand when your plate is already overflowing and things just keep piling on.
You learn a lot and quickly on who are dependable, who are “all talk and no action” and who just loves to pass the buck.
Some people surprise you and some others, well, you cannot believe would do such a thing.
All in all, it was exhausting especially since I was up till early morning almost every day catching reruns of the Beijing Olympics but it was fun and a good experience with a steep learning curve. I like!
I also like, erm, well love, what I got to squeeze in between all the madness of August.
“Magnificent, marvellous Live at the Marquee”
What? What could it be?
A little birdie who later became an angel of salvation emailed me this heads-up:
"STIRRING MUSIC, VELVET VOCALS, AND AN EXQUISITE DINING EXPERIENCE SET IN BREATHTAKING SURROUNDINGS..."
SEAN GHAZI LIVE AT THE MARQUEE
Featuring Special Guest: LIZA HANIM
DATES: Thursday 14th & Friday 15th August, 2008
VENUE: THE MARQUEE, CARCOSA SERI NEGARA
TIME: Dinner served from 6.30pm
SHOWTIME - 9.30pm
It’s been ages since I’ve been here.
I cannot believe the last time I updated my blog was more than a month ago.
Well, yeah, August was crazy, passed by in a blur.
The momentum built up gradually from late July and once the ball started rolling, yikes! There was no stopping it!
I’ve been involved somewhat with organizing get-togethers, short courses and conferences but all were more like supporting roles to the main cast.
This time round I was in the thick of it all. I was having meetings upon meetings. Any free time was filled with meetings, updating tasks, paperwork and such.
The conference ran from the 26th to the 28th and the week before that, I was pulled in every direction. My brain was checking and re-checking every single detail. I was also entrusted with holding the whip.
“You there, have you done this?!”
“You! Have you done that?!”
“And you! Why are all that not done yet?!”
“And you there, have you pestered those people to finalize that?!”
...
Something to that effect with a huge pinch of tact of course!
I’ve learnt at the very start of my working life that what you know is not that important compared to who you know and how you play the game. It is not the work that is challenge but rather the people you work with.
How do you make sure what people promise you is what they will deliver and how do you use your persuasive skills to get things done when you want them.
Tricky, tricky...
In a limited time of organizing an event, you learn a lot and quickly about how to deal with things not going your way and how to mitigate them with the least amount of damage.
You learn a lot and quickly on how to prioritise your responsibilities at hand when your plate is already overflowing and things just keep piling on.
You learn a lot and quickly on who are dependable, who are “all talk and no action” and who just loves to pass the buck.
Some people surprise you and some others, well, you cannot believe would do such a thing.
All in all, it was exhausting especially since I was up till early morning almost every day catching reruns of the Beijing Olympics but it was fun and a good experience with a steep learning curve. I like!
I also like, erm, well love, what I got to squeeze in between all the madness of August.
“Magnificent, marvellous Live at the Marquee”
What? What could it be?
A little birdie who later became an angel of salvation emailed me this heads-up:
"STIRRING MUSIC, VELVET VOCALS, AND AN EXQUISITE DINING EXPERIENCE SET IN BREATHTAKING SURROUNDINGS..."
SEAN GHAZI LIVE AT THE MARQUEE
Featuring Special Guest: LIZA HANIM
DATES: Thursday 14th & Friday 15th August, 2008
VENUE: THE MARQUEE, CARCOSA SERI NEGARA
TIME: Dinner served from 6.30pm
SHOWTIME - 9.30pm

Award-winning recording artist SEAN GHAZI takes to the stage in a smoldering dinner show, up close and intimate at The Marquee, Carcosa Seri Negara.
Backed by a 4-piece jazz band, program highlights include hits from Ghazi's groundbreaking debut album 'SEMALAM' and a unique blend of Broadway, vintage Malay and all-time classics, plus a sneak preview of his upcoming album.
RM349++/person
3-course dinner inclusive of wine, soft drinks and coffee/tea
Dinner served from 6.30pm
RM169++/person
Show only (inclusive of welcome cocktail)
BOOKINGS: +603 2295 0801
Email: carcosa@ghmhotels.com
WEEEeee...!!!
First reaction.
Then, CRASH!!!
The only night me and my partner-in-crime could go was Thursday and all tickets sold out already!
Ok, change partner-in-crime and try Friday. Arrange this, move that. Still cannot!
Dang, dang, DANG!!
Oh well... Sigh...
Not meant to be...
Too tired and tied up anyway...
Decided it was courteous to at least say thanks for the heads-up to the little birdie and also to inform that I’ll be missing it.
And what a stroke of luck that turned out to be!
To cut to the chase, several emails and phone calls later with shuffling of schedules, I GOT TO GO!! And, and, FOC – free of charge! Nearly had to work for the free seats but it didn’t happen and in that instant, the little birdie changed to my angel of salvation! Woohoo!!
Friday evening
Traffic’s going to be mad!
Hmm, the drive home from work is not too bad.
Let’s see, what’s playing live on TV from Beijing?
What’s this?!
It’s Lee Chong Wei, Malaysia’s only hope of a medal, is playing the semi-finals. If he wins this, silver medal is in the bag!
Oh my god!!
We couldn’t sit still in our seats. We were jumping and screaming “Come on! You can do it” from our corner of the world to him.
HE WON! HE WON! I’ve never seen Mom and Dad scream and dance like that before!
What a rush... He kissed our Jalur Gemilang... Sweet!
Oh! Got to get ready...
We have never been to Carcosa Seri Negara so leaving home later than what we planned due to the slight distraction earlier, we hoped it was still enough allowance to include getting lost.
And got lost we did.
Round and round we went but eventually got to the right turn off. The road’s kinda creepy and really narrow. But at the end of it, gorgeous! It was so serene and picturesque. I wanted to take pictures but my camera was out of battery. So, mental picture then. Click, click!
We got to out seats and waited and waited and waited.
Ayo! So late!
The show scheduled for 9.30 only started close to 10.
Lucky he was just perfect the way he is.
You know, he should sing what he wants to say.
I was looking forward most to his little revelation of his coming album and when he did, WOW!
He and Liza Hanim worked their magic. They have such great stage chemistry together. It was evident during the P Ramlee musical staged late last year and it still is now. I can’t wait!
Oh, and I was surprised that Semalam with a 4-piece band sounds amazing!
It was everything I come to expect from Sean – perfect tone, showmanship, warmth and oomph! However, honestly, I was too pre-occupied to really absorb the show. I was running thing-to-do in my head while I was watching him perform. It’s a crime I know but I really couldn’t help it. With just a week left to the conference, I was anxious. Sorry Sean...
But, thank you so very very much for having us and you too Maya.
2 comments:
Salam Aidilfitri. maaf Zahir Batin my dear.
Oh you managed to see Sean? How wonderful.
Hello there Kak Ruby,
Happy Aidilfitri to you too. Maaf zahir batin.
Oh yes, managed to squeeze his show into my mad schedule. It was one not be missed actually and I'm so very glad that I didn't. :-)
Hope you're doing well. Take care.
Post a Comment